15 Random Facts About Depression:
- Even positive events such as graduating, getting married, a new job can lead to depression.
- More than 20 million people in the United States suffer from depression in a given year.
- Once men hit midlife, they may face an increased risk of depression due to the decrease of testosterone.
- Men typically experience depression differently from women and use different means to cope. For example, while women may feel hopeless, men may feel irritable. Women may crave a listening ear, while men may became socially withdrawn or become violent or abusive.
- As many as 15% of those who suffer from some form of depression take their lives each year.
- The first mental asylum in the U.S opened in 1773 in Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Recent research suggests that depression can shorten the lives of people with cancer by years.
- Researchers have found a direct relationship between depression and the thickening of the lining of the carotid artery in women, a major risk factor for stroke.
- Sufferers of depression may experience more cognitive impairment on less sunny days than on sunny days.
- Long-term use of marijuanaleads to changes in dopamine production and has been implicated in the onset of depressive symptoms.
- Many creative individuals have experienced depression, including Robert Schumann, Ludwig van Beethoven, Peter Tchaikovsky, John Lennon, Edgar Allan Poe, Mark Twain, Georgia O’Keefe, Vincent van Gogh, Ernest Hemmingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Sylvia Plath.
- The total cost of depression in the Untied States are estimated to be $44 billion: $12 billion in direct costs of treatment, $8 billion in premature death, and $24 billion in absenteeism and reduced productivity at work. These do not include out-of-pocket family expenses, costs of minor and untreated depression, excessive hospitalization, general medical services, and diagnostic tests.
- Depression may occur in as many as 1 in 33 children and 1 in 8 teenagers in the United States. Once a child or teenage has an episode of depression, he or she has a greater than 50% chance of experiencing another episode in the next five years.
- Depressed individuals have two times greater overall mortality risk than the general population due to direct (e.g., suicide) and indirect (medical illness) causes.
- Depression often presents itself in four ways: mood changes, cognitive (memory and thought process) changes, physical changes, and behavioral changes.
Photo post 20.09.2012 às 20:58 | 160 notes | ? Reblog this
Tags: depression, saddness, random facts, crying,